Finding Innovative Solutions to Complex Challenges.
We are committed to accelerating microbiome research to develop new applications, methods, and technology to improve human health. We firmly believe that innovative health solutions can be identified and implemented strategically through cooperation and creative thinking.
This belief has fostered the implementation of our Innovation Program which is dedicated to improving and understanding the mechanisms by which dietary and nutrition intervention with potential probiotics, including beneficial commensals, interact with the host and gastrointestinal microbiota to improve host physiology and function.
Apply Now for our $80,000 Innovation Grant
We’re launching a funding competition in collaboration with Mitacs to stimulate innovative research in the field of probiotics for human health applications. The goals of this scientific research grant are to create a new sustainable partnership with researchers across Canada, to provide training opportunities for students, and to foster breakthrough research.
Who Can Apply
Full-time faculty members from Canadian post-secondary institutions and their affiliated institutions, including hospitals and research institutes. Applicants must be part of an established research program with the capacity to do research on microbiota and its role in human health and disease. The selected grant recipient must sign a “Research Grant Agreement” which will outline the use of funds, results, ownership and intellectual property, and other applicable restrictions.
Areas of Research
Investigators working on understanding the role of probiotic interventions for different types of health indications. Innovative studies on novel indications, animal models and/or novel bacterial isolates are strongly encouraged.
Research cannot use commercial probiotic strains except for those owned by Lallemand Health Solutions or publicly available without commercial use restraints. Novel strains isolated by the researcher or other academic labs are acceptable. Research using Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) developed by the investigators will also be considered.
This grant will support a project for a maximum amount of $ 80,000 CAD (90% of which to be used toward stipend/salaries, contingent on budget justifications) and is provided over a period of minimum one to maximum three years. The time required for the use of funds is to be determined by the applicant.
- 90% of the total grant fund ($72,000 CAD) must be used as a stipend/salary for hiring researchers (graduate students, postdoctoral researcher). The remaining 10% can be used for consumables.
- Equipment, principal investigator salaries, and travel expenses are not funded.
- The possibility of in-kind contribution in the form of hosting the researcher at our labs to perform some aspects of experiments (upon discussion with the researcher) using reagents, equipment, and scientific expertise provided by Lallemand Health Solutions.
- Only proposals submitted within the competition timeline will be eligible.
Applications for the research grant will be reviewed by the Lallemand Health Solutions Research Grant Committee, in consultation with external reviewers. Research applications will be scored based on the following criteria:
- Innovation and originality: originality of the proposed research question, including novel techniques/methodology, novel animal models, novel microbes as well as the potential for creating new knowledge.
- Feasibility: feasibility of the research project in terms of proposed budget, time frame, staff, and resources available.
- Applicant’s Excellence in research: an experience of the applicant including independence, a proven track record of peer-reviewed publications, total research funding, team strength and training of highly qualified personnel.
- Impact of the research: research question to be addressed and how it contributes to health in Canada and worldwide.
- Applicants must submit a completed Letter of Intent (LOI) form and an updated academic CV within the competition deadline. Please refer to the timeline for more information.
- Documents must be merged into a single PDF file and emailed to LHS.Innovation@lallemand.com.
- Applications will be reviewed by the Lallemand Health Solutions Scientific Committee Team.
- Selected applicant will be invited to complete and submit a Mitacs application package for the Mitacs peer review process.
- The winner will be notified after successful completion of the peer review process and the research agreement will be signed.
- Once the process is completed, the winning grant recipient will be announced publicly.
You must send the following documents packaged in one PDF to be considered for this research grant:
- A completed Letter of Intent form, with accompanying Gantt chart
- An up-to-date CV that includes a list of publications and grants.
- Application open: April 15, 2019
- Submission deadline: July 1st, 2019
- Mitacs application process: August 15, 2019
- Winner Announcement: November 15, 2019
- Grant start date: First Quarter, 2020
If you have any questions, please email LHS.Innovation@lallemand.com.